Crop Residue Burning Program Overview

The crop residue burning (CRB) program is designed to enable growers to burn under certain conditions while protecting public health from smoke impacts. The program is managed by DEQ on lands other than the five Indian reservations in Idaho.

Crop residue is defined as any vegetative material remaining in the field after harvest, or vegetative material produced on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) lands. It includes whole fields, pastures, spots within a field or pasture, broken bales in the field that they were generated during the time of harvest, CRP lands, food plots, and blanching or flaming operations. It does not include vegetation along ditch banks, fence lines, orchard pruning, or forest slash piles.

Under the CRB program, growers must obtain approval from DEQ before burning by registering for a Permit-by-Rule at least 30 days before they want to burn. Detailed information on when and where the burn is to take place is required on the registration. A $2 fee per acre registered must also be paid at least 7 days in advance of the burn. In addition, growers must obtain other permits, such as a fire safety permit, if required by other agencies.

Burn days are limited to weekdays during daylight hours only. Burning on weekends and state and federal holidays is prohibited. Burning can only occur in fields where the crop residue was generated.

The program requires DEQ to ensure smoke from authorized burns does not adversely impact institutions with sensitive populations, including public schools while in session, hospitals, residential health care facilities for children, the elderly or infirm, and other institutions with sensitive populations as approved by DEQ. DEQ Policy Memorandum 10-03 (pdf)  outlines the procedures by which other institutions may apply for sensitive population status and DEQ’s process for evaluating and approving such requests.

History of Idaho’s Crop Residue Burning Program (pdf)

Idaho Fire Safety Burn Permits

Individuals living outside city limits anywhere in Idaho who plan to burn for any reason – including crop residue burning and excluding recreational campfires – during closed fire season, from May 10 to October 20 every year, must obtain a fire safety burn permit.

If you live inside city limits and you plan to burn, a permit from your local fire department may be required.

As a convenience to the grower, DEQ’s crop residue burning application communicates with the Idaho Department of Land’s (IDL) burn permits system to assist in issuing IDL burn permits. IDL burn permits for crop residue burning may only be obtained through DEQ’s system. DEQ’s crop residue burning application contains links to view the IDL burn permit. For questions about fire safety permits, contact IDL at (866) 581-6498.

Grower Online Tool – Register / Pay Fees / Submit Post-Burn Report

Grower Log-In

Online registration is preferred. A hard copy paper registration form (pdf) is also available.

Need help identifying your location? Google Earth | BLM Township, Range, & Section Display.

If You Don’t Want to Pay Online

Make check payable to:

Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

Send registration and fees to:

Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

CRB Program

Crop Residue Burning Registration

1401 N. Hilton

Boise, ID 83706

Spot and Baled Agricultural Residue and Propane Flame Burning

DEQ has implemented two new permits under the crop residue burning program:

These permits were developed to reduce the administrative requirements for burning very small amounts of residue while still protecting public health. Burning under these permits is only allowed on DEQ-designated burn days for the county where the field is located and within the designated burn window, which may include weekends and holidays.

DEQ evaluates air quality and meteorological conditions to determine whether burning under these permits is permissible. Burning may be allowed if pollutant levels are within an acceptable range and smoke is expected to disperse with minimal impact to public health and safety, including special consideration for institutions with sensitive populations (e.g. hospitals and schools).


Growers must have completed DEQ training in proper burning techniques and good smoke management within the past 5 years. Training may be completed online or at in-person training sessions. Note: this online training works best in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer 10.

Online Training